Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Compassion "Next Step"


www.compassion.com
Just about every year Compassion sent me a letter urging me to become an Advocate. That was something that I thought I could not do, so I never thought about again. The latter part of 07 I received another invite to become an Advocate. OK! This year was a little different, something told me that I had the time, since I have retired, and this charity was one that I truly believed in.
I prayed to the Lord about getting more involved with Compassion by working as a Advocate. I had made up my mind that I would ask God 7 times what His will was for my life. On the third day I had to go to the drug store for a refill. I remember that I was hurting really bad as I walked into the store and headed for the counter. I'm the type of person that when I'm hurting, from back problems, I don't want to talk to anyone. I just want to be left alone and hurt in silence, and pity my self. When I dropped off the prescription the lady told me it would be about 2o minutes before it would be ready. No Problem, I'll just walk around the store since there were about eight people in the waiting area and only six chairs. Walking down one isle I found jelly beans, and since I'm jelly bean lover, I picked up three packs. After about 15 minutes I headed for the counter. Everyone had cleared out except a young couple with two little kids. As I made my way to a chair and sat down, the jelly beans acted like a magnet to the two little ones. Within a minute I had a little girl with blond hair, that needed brushing really bad, about 2 foot nothing, leaning on my knees asking about the jellies. The first thing that went through my mind, I DON'T FEEL LIKE TALKING TO YOU, GO AWAY. And you guessed it, she wanted some jelly beans. I thought about opening a bag, but since I had not paid for them, I tried something else. I started naming colors for her. At first, I could not hear what she was saying, she talked like a child that had been punished for misbehaving, really quite. Within a nano second of talking to me, there were "TWO" just a like. "IDENTICAL TWINS"
As both of these little girls leaned on my knees, we talked about the colors in the bags of jellies, and after a little while, both were telling me the colors in a voice that was much more like a three or four year old talking about candy. Through all this I was thinking that these little girls needed their hair brushed and maybe faces washed off a little. I don't know how long I sat there going over the colors in all the bags, but I heard one of the parents tell then it was time to go. As I watched them go I knew that these two little girls really needed more attention than was being given. I would have picked them both up and gave them a BIG hug, and carried them home for my wife and I to spoil, with all kinds of toys and love.
Just then, off in the distance, I heard a name called for medicine pickup. I turned to the counter and asked if that was for me, but I should have known, I was the only one left. As I paid for my medicine, the lady asked if I was a school teacher. I told her that I was just about as far from being a teacher as anyone could be. She said that I sure had those little girls attention while we waited. I explained to her that my wife and I had raised two girls, that have families of their own now, and I was partial to little girls, you know, sugar and spice and everything nice, "most of the time."
As I walked out the door I realized, I'm not hurting very much any more. Then it hit all through my being. I had been placed at the store at the right time, with the right little ones, and my mind had been moved from pity for myself and from the pain to those precious little ones for one reason. Answered Prayer. Thank You Lord. I knew without a doubt, the Lord was asking me to get more involved in Compassion by signing up as as Advocate, to stand up for the little ones who can not speak for themselves, the little ones that God loves more than we can explain or know.
To any that read this, remember; Proverbs says, "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy." AND "If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered." Go to the web site below and find out what YOU can do.
http://www.compassion.com/default.htm